For me, Ole Year’s Night/New Years Eve always has this special air of excitement and emotional energy around it. 2014 has had so many ups and downs. These last few days I’ve taken some time to really appreciate all the great things that 2014 has brought me.
Photography-wise I’ve learnt so much and gained so much knowledge. On a business and career level some notable highlights have been (in no particular order):
- having my first ever published fashion editorial (in Islandista Magazine)
- having my first ever published beauty editorial and cover shots! (in Islandista Magazine)
- co-creative directing, developing and executing a beauty and fashion photo series with my dear friend Alpheus of Alphaeus Designs (Femme Fatale)
- starting work with Andrew Browne as a second shooter and photo assistant
- launching my first ever portfolio website, blog, and social media channels to promote my photography
- getting the chance to appear on national TV to promote the aforementioned Femme Fatale photo series
- developing my entrepreneurial skillset and education through self-directed learning and through completion of the Youth Entrepreneurship Scheme (YES) Training Programme
- working as one of the photographers for UWI Graduation 2014 with Pro Photo Studio
- finally properly learning about video & film through the Digital Media Programme of the Youth Development Programme
- made contact with some really amazing and talented people in the local photography, fashion and related industries
On a personal level, I’ve been through so much as well. Most notably my break-up earlier in the year, recovering from said break-up, learning to be more independent, and then later meeting the amazing guy that I’ve been in a very happy and fulfilling relationship with. This year I’ve also really paid far more attention to my mental and emotional health. I started gratitude journaling at the beginning of this year and it’s really done alot to help me appreciate life more fully.
This evening, I saw that the Barbados Photographic Society, a local organisation I’m a proud member of, was encouraging everyone to share their favourite photos of 2014. I thought it’d be fun to share them with you here too.
This is from early in the year, I loved the feeling in this image, it was pretty much exactly what I was going for. And the experience of shooting in the middle of nowhere was surreal. (lol, ok, it was Long Beach, but I’m not from such parts). This was the first shoot in the Femme Fatale series and it acted as further inspiration and motivation to grow the series to its final product.
This was special to me because I’ve really fully discovered this year that if I really had to pick 1 genre of photography I loved the most it’d be beauty photography. The experience of shooting this one was also surreal, see I’m a pretty shy person and I shot the editorial for this live at Girlfriends Expo! This photo also made the cover of Islandista magazine‘s 2014 Summer edition. My first ever magazine cover! A fact I still haven’t gotten over. 🙂
See the rest of the editorial here.
It was at this point of picking number 3 that I’m like darn this is hard. But I just loved this whole shoot! This is another one from the Femme Fatale series. I just loooove shooting this young lady! Tiyesha, you rock!
See the rest from this shoot and the Femme Fatale series here.
There’s just so much I hope to achieve in 2015! So many shoot ideas, so many business development goals, so many creative skillset goals, so many clients I want to make happy. I have faith that with vision, hard work, dedication, and a great attitude along with God’s direction there’s so much each and every one of us can accomplish. So hears to 2015!
I’ll leave you with one of my favourite songs from one of my favourite musical movies, “Seasons of Love” from Rent. This song inspires my attitude for 2015 and beyond. Enjoy!